You may be able to apply to immigrate permanently after you graduate. To do so, you need one year of skilled work experience in Canada.
The year of skilled work experience must be in a job that is listed in the 2016 National Occupation Classification as:
- Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations)
- Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
- Skill level B (technical and trade occupations).
To qualify, you must also meet our language standards (depending on your job).
One way to get this work experience is through a post-graduation work permit. You can get one if you graduate from certain Canadian post-secondary schools. To qualify, the school must take part in our Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
Students can now also earn additional Comprehensive Ranking Score points for study in Canada above high school:
- 15 points for a one- or two-year diploma or certificate
- 30 points for a degree, diploma or certificate of three years or longer, or a Master’s, professional or doctoral degree of at least one year.
You must complete an Express Entry profile as the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker.