The following people do not qualify for private sponsorship:
- people already in Canada,
- people who have applied for resettlement before and who have been refused, unless
- their circumstances have changed,
- new information that was not sent with the previous application has come to light or
- Canadian laws affecting the case have changed,
- people who have been given permission to live permanently in another country and
- people who fled persecution or civil war some time ago, but who can now integrate into the country where they live or can return home safely.