No. We don’t recognize these types of marriages. If one or both parties are not physically present at the ceremony, we won’t recognize the marriage.
You may be exempt from this rule if:
- Your application was received before June 10, 2015, or
- You are a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. The marriage may be recognized if:
- You could not be physically present at your marriage ceremony, because of travel restrictions related to your service,
- the marriage took place outside of Canada, and
- It was registered in a country where marriage by proxy is legal.