In most cases, applicants will receive their eTA approval (via email) within minutes of applying. However, some applications may need several days to process.
If this happens to your application, you will receive an email within 72 hours of applying that tells you what your next steps are. This may include a request for:
- additional information or documents, or
- an in-person interview at the nearest Canadian visa office.
Once you receive this email, you can use the eTA Check Status tool to follow the progress of your application. To use the tool, you will need:
- the application number which begins with the letter V that can be found at the top of the email, and
- details from the passport you used to apply for your eTA.
If you have not received an email confirmation with an application number within 72 hours of applying, you will need to fill out this Web form. You will need to:
- under “Type of application” select from the drop menu “Electronic Travel Authorization”, then “Case specific enquiries”.
- provide as many details as possible. It can take us several days to answer your enquiry.
Note: Make sure to check your email junk mail folder. Some spam filters may block our emails. Check the folder regularly as emails may at times be moved from your inbox to the junk mail folder.