To apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class, your skilled work experience must:
- be in a job classified as skill type 0, or skill level A or B according to the 2016 National Occupational Classification,
- amount to at least one year of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) in the previous three years,
- have been with an employer in Canada (self-employment does not count),
- be gained with the proper legal authorization (for example, as a documented worker with a valid work permit), and
- not be gained while you were studying on a student permit.
Note: Completing an Express Entry profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. Completing an Express Entry profile does not guarantee that you will receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence. An Invitation to Apply for permanent residence will be based on your score and rank in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System.